Monday, March 31, 2008

Archive: Technology and Alberta

(Originally published July 19th, 2006 at hitmis.postopolis.com)

Today I was reviewing some notes I took a while back that directed me to look into the Alberta ICT Council. From there I discovered some really interesting sites that I wanted to direct you to.

20/20 Network is trying to create an ‘Alberta Chamber of Technologies’ in order to facilitate Alberta’s ability to take advantage of a new, knowledge/technology based economy. To me it looks like this is the group of people trying to answer my earlier questions about ‘what is the knowledge economy and how do we foster it in Alberta?’

From there, I found the “Alberta Technology Chamber of Commerce” blog. The most recent posting there paints a gloomy picture of Alberta’s ability to be successful in the tech sector.

Booming Economy Aside, Nearly Half of Alberta’s Tech Firms Would Leave the Province - 2006 Alberta Technology Report

The Ernst & Young report reveals that 80% of technology companies continue to cite a lack of available financing as a key challenge

I haven’t spent much time reading through either site yet, but I am expecting them both to be sources of information that I’ll use for this blog in the future.

If you want to get more involved in shaping Alberta’s tech future, I’d suggest you look into participating in the discussions at 20/20 Network.

No comments: