Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Book Review: by Tarah Wheeler Van Vlack

Started reading the first chapter as soon as I got the book. Put it down to go order a copy for a friend/recent graduate. I’ve started writing this review before finishing the book. Why? I’m just that excited about it.

First off, I almost never finish reading non-fiction books. I get bored easily and, once I’ve got the general gist of a book, I skip to the next shiny object. But this book is full of shiny objects.

I’m out of the tech world. I’m an academic now and I don’t anticipate ever needing to get a job in the real world again. However, there’s great advice here for *everyone.* You don’t have to be a woman or looking for a tech job to learn from how to do a better job of personal branding or communicating or…well, whatever you need to survive the working world.

When I’m done with the book, I’m handing it off to my husband. He’s a <man in tech>, he’s not 20 years old any more, and he can use the tips and tricks in this book both for himself and for supporting any underrepresented minority he may end up working with. That's to say, I think there's value in more than just the bonus chapter on becoming an ally.[1]

What I love. Tarah[2] has a blunt writing style. I love that. Some may not. To me, her style is very matter-of-fact, cut-to-the-chase and definitely-not-sugar-coated. YMMV, but I’ve always found it easier to work with people with this approach. Now, being blunt is not the same as being rude; Tarah is respectful of different personalities and needs. If you want no-nonsense advice for navigating the world of tech work, you’ll find it here.

What I don’t love. I’m not super fond of the contributed stories – the bios. I’m having a hard time articulating why I have a problem with this. Initially I thought I could do without any of them. But then I read Katie Cunningham’s contribution – that one resonates with me for some reason. Maybe I can’t relate to the earlier stories. Maybe it’s the academic in me getting all caught up with the bias of only having stories from women who have succeeded. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and don't buy into the dominant American theme that success = owning a business, being wealthy and famous/important. Maybe it’s my unconscious (culturally taught) bias against (discomfort with) women having the audacity to flaunt their accomplishments. I don’t know. I do know that I’m just one person and while I don’t find these stories inspirational (at this time), I do know why they are in the book. 

Looking for advice on writing your tech resume? This book has it. If you’re reading closely, you can adapt this advice to any resume. Why? Because every HR department is inundated with applications, so they’re using technology to help whittle down the hundreds (or thousands) of applications to something manageable. You have to learn how to beat the software and there is advice that can help here.

Looking for how to ace the technical interview? Well, I’ve never lived through one of the new tech/coding interviews, so I don’t know if this will help you ace it. But Tarah gives you some great strategies that will help. In particular, use her strategies and you should be able to diffuse the (possibly unconscious) biases of your interviewers. Win! Again, you can adapt the tech interview strategy to many problem solving based interview questions.

Looking to build your brand? It’s in this book. I’m going to start working on this advice right now. Because we all have a brand to manage, whether we know it or not.

Considering consulting work? Important info here!

Want to start your own company? Well, first off, Wheeler Van Vlack has done this. So have many of the women who contributed their stories to the book. The folks here have experience. They’re sharing that experience.

I anticipate buying up a stash of these books and handing them out to students as graduation gifts. At the very least, I’ll be lending my copy out lots.


Just so you know, I bought this book personally. I’ve received nothing in return for writing a review. If, however, I’m ever attending the same conference as the author, I’m going to track her down and get her to sign my copy.

Amazon Link to book[3] : <Women in Tech>

----------
[1] Also, I already think he's an ally - I wouldn't have married him if he weren't. 
[2] I hope I can call her that. If only because it's shorter than writing Wheeler Van Vlack.
[3] I receive nothing for this link. I'm just making it easier for you to find the book.

---------
Update 1: I corrected a typo in the labeling for footnote 2. That's all.

No comments: